If you’re someone who likes short hair you would know how expensive the regular visits to the hair salon can get. You can save both time and money by simply trimming your hair at home. It’s really easy to do it yourself and all you would need is a hair clipper. A hair clipper is a small handy tool that can chop off large chunks of hair quite easily and give a professional looking haircut right at home. A hair clipper is often confused with a beard trimmer, shaver or epilator. Here you will learn what exactly a hair clipper is and how you can use it to give yourself or someone else a haircut.
Philips Norelco Multi Groomer MG3750/50 – 13 piece, beard, face, nose, and ear hair trimmer and clipper, FFP
Wahl Color Pro Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clippers, Hair trimmers, 21 pieces Hair Cutting Kit, Color Coded guide combs For Women, Men, Kids and Babies By The Brand used by Professionals. #9649
Wahl Professional 5-Star Cord/Cordless Magic Clip #8148 – Great for Barbers and Stylists – Precision Cordless Fade Clipper Loaded with Features – 90+ Minute Run Time
Wahl Clipper Elite Pro High Performance Haircut Kit for men, includes Electric Hair Clippers, secure fit guide combs with stainless steel clips – By The Brand used by Professionals #79602
Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit, Hair Clippers, Hair Trimmers, Clippers, (13 pieces)
Wahl Lithium Ion Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clippers and Trimmers for men,Hair Cutting Kit with 10 Guide Combs by The Brand used by Professionals. #79600-2101
Sminiker Professional Cordless Haircut Kit Clippers for Men Rechargeable Hair Clippers Set with 2 Batteries, 6 Comb, Guides and Scissors – Grey
A hair clipper and a trimmer are both similar to look at but are used for different purposes. They have different blade sizes and length because a clipper is used to cut longer and thicker hair while a trimmer is designed to cut shorter and finer hair. A shaver on the other hand can leave a completely clean finish, unlike the other two. Although a clipper is generally used for a haircut, you can also use it to thin out the overgrowth of a beard before using an actual trimmer or shaver. Hair clippers are also great for grooming your pets.
The best thing about clippers is the fact that they come with a variety of combs and attachments. You can choose from different sizes of blade guards to cut different lengths of hair. They are variously numbered to denote their cutting capacity and remember, the smaller the number the shorter your hair will be.
- Fine cutting blades numbered as 0, 00, 000, 0000, 00000 etc. will give you a super fine haircut and your remaining hair will be between 1.2-0.1 mm.
- Medium coarse cutting blades are numbered like 1, 1A or 1.5 and cut your hair till 2.4-4 mm.
- Full coarse cutting blades numbered as 2, 3.5 and 3.75 will leave you with longer hair between 6-13 mm.
- Longer cutting blades are suitable if you want even longer hair between 16-19 mm.
If you’re planning to cut your own hair using a hair clipper or planning to try it on someone else, here are all the steps that you need to follow.
- Wash the hair using a shampoo to remove any grease or hair products.
- Place a towel on the shoulders to avoid making a mess.
- You can wet the hair with a spray bottle of water or leave it dry if that’s what you prefer.
- Now choose the blade guard according to the size of hair you want.
- Start running the clippers in a direction opposite to hair growth.
- While running the clippers, start close to the skin and while coming up, scoop it a little outwards.
- Evenly trim the hair using short strokes.
Finish with a close cut at the nape of the neck.